Wednesday 16 August 2006

From the ridiculous...

OK. So here's the latest. I told you last week that my trainer was being sneaky and coming up with other ways to do exercises so that I don't stress my back. So, what did he ask me to do this evening? To sit down.

It was a prelude to doing squats, get the thigh and bum muscles working, to sit down on a bench just using the legs. Obvious, eh? Because of my back, I always hold onto something, or put my hand on the seat first to prevent any hard falls that would send a shiver of pain up my back and down my leg. And when I stand up I hold onto something or press myself up using my hands on my thighs to lever myself upright. So, just using thigh and bum muscles to sit and stand isn't that easy.

I couldn't do it. That was so frustrating! And a bit stupid. In part, I've no doubt that it's a confidence thing - my back is much better so sitting down shouldn't hurt and I just need to believe that.

I will practice sitting down and standing up.

2 comments:

chrisv said...

Maybe have a rest in between?

With a Medicinal and a Gregg's pasty?

Owen said...

Now, that's a good idea!