Friday 16 September 2005

Prolapse, herniated, slipped

It's been another one of those days when my back reminds me it exists (well, without it I'd fall down a lot, I suppose). Or rather not my back, my slipped disc. I could feel it yesterday, every now and then I'd move and notice it, but didn't pay too much attention to it - it's a bit like a selfish spoilt child, the more you pander to it the more it wants. In my case, the disc presses on the nerve that runs down my left leg. I should be used to it by now but it's a constant surprise when that shooting pain runs down the back of my leg and the foot goes numb. Ouch.

Woke up this morning and there it was, still there even while I was in bed. Bad sign. That says to me I'm going down the usual spiral route of pain and discomfort that lasts a few days and then one morning is fine again. It's happening more frequently lately, probably because I'm carrying an expanded belly round with me and I weigh 15 tonnes. Or thereabouts.

So didn't go to work - I've got enough to do to justify working from home. I need to put some advice to ministers on a couple of things so this is a nice opportunity to draft the notes in peace and quiet - and a bit more comfort than my office. Went out this afternoon to post some eBay products to my customers (as I like to think of them, basically a few CDs I no longer want). Walking was awkward at first but after 15 minutes or so I loosened up enough to walk more normally rather than the odd tense waddle I sometimes have to stop myself doing when my disc is playing up. I still haven't had the real pain yet so maybe this time taking it easy has worked. Maybe?

No comments: