Thursday 22 September 2005

Another book and CD

I finally started reading the biography of Kirsty MacColl, one of my long-term musical favourites. I've had the book for ages but it's been stuck underneath a pile of 20-30 CDs so it's easier to pick up other books. Reading about the Great God Nod yesterday made me decide to finally read it so I started and I'm about half-way through.

It's interesting and nice to read about Kirsty but it's a bit of an undergraduate dissertation, full of quotes from people about Kirsty rather than original writing. Nothing wrong with that really, but not quite what I expected.

It brought up some nice memories for me, like wandering over Clapham Common to get the bus to work in Fulham in 1989 listening to 'Days' on the radio and singing along. I loved 'Kite', some great songs on that album (in my case, a cassette). Then I got all the subsequent albums up to 'Tropical Brainstorm' - didn't get that album for some reason (can't really recall why not). But I got it as a wonderful surprise Christmas present a couple of years later and I *love* it. "Alegria, alegria, happiness and joy!"

I also got my latest CD today (I'm listening to it even as I type). It's 'The Grimleys' soundtrack from the first series. I didn't see the series but I had to get the CD since it's got an accoustic version of 'Coz I Luv You' by none other than Noddy Holder! The surprising thing is that it's actually a good selection of early-mid '70s chart music. I've already got most of the songs on other compilations but there are a few I'm pleased to be able to add to my collection, so it's a good investment on top of getting the Noddy track (which is a great version of S L A D E's first number 1 single).

I even ventured into work today, hobbling along the street, a pronounced limp but at least I could stand up properly. A walking stick would've helped (O God, I'm an old man already...). The bus was a bit painful, feeling every stop and start and bump in the road in the nerve ends jangling in my lower back. Ouch. Only did half a day but that allowed me to clear my inbox and deal with a few things. Started getting a bit tetchy after a couple of hours with all the little movements involved in being at work - like turning round to see who was walking into my office (I sit with back to the door) which was a right pain - nice of people to pop in to see how I was but ..... ggrrrrrr.

No comments: