Monday 5 September 2005

Cluck cluck Chicken (swallow)

You, dear reader, might not have noticed as yet from my blog entries that I am a vegetarian and have been so for 30 years (I agree, I'm old). Neither fish, flesh nor fowl have knowingly graced my plate nor my stomach in all that time. I have no doubt that some dead stuff has entered my mouth on occasions, if only because the people that provide buffet-style sandwiches never have the grace to separate the dead stuff from the acceptable cheese and vege materials (cheese always features heavily).

Well, today, gentle friend, I suspect I might have swallowed some chicken. Had a lunch time meeting so we provided some sarnies and fruit as well as the usual undrinkable coffee and weak tea. The sarnies were from Pret, cut into quarters and all liberally coated in mayonaisse and pickle so they all taste broadly the same. I picked my way round the sarnie platter getting what I assumed were safe sarnies. I have the suspicion - bourne out by a gut ache all afternoon and evening - that one was contaminated with a dead chicken...

All I can say is bastards!

I'm not a rabid anti meat-eater by any means but is it *so* difficult to separate out the dead stuff from the edible? Why mix it all in? Are they truly stupid? (no need to answer that). All I've had to eat today is two and a half quarter sandwiches (less than 2 slices of bread) so, by rights, I should be starving... I just can't face food at the moment.

So, dear friend, I still have a bit of a gut ache as the dead stuff wends it's way through my internal passages. I can feel it much lower down my body than earlier. I won't get too graphic, but after 30 years my intestines really don't have the kind of bacteria (or whatever) needed to properly digest a dead clucky thing.

1 comment:

redhairedqueer said...

On a similar note, can anybody explain why it's so difficult to buy a meat-free pre-packed salad?

Look up "salad" in the dictionary. In mine it is described as "a cold dish of raw vegetables". So why do the stores always insist on adding chicken, tuna or something similar to the concoction? Have they no grasp of the english language?