Saturday 16 July 2011

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll'

Here's Joan Jett's classic song from 1982, 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll'. Joan was, of course, one of The Runaways in the '70s before going solo and bursting onto the television with this song, a cover of an old Glam Rock song by The Arrows. And she made it a great song.

Joan was on the 'Secrets of The Pop Song' tonight on BBC2, when the theme was 'anthems', and she looked good! Joan is older than me but looks good. Say 'Joan Jett' to me and I think of 'Cherry Bomb' by The Runaways' and then I think of 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll'. She has class. Rock on Joan!

2 comments:

Nasty Nena said...

I Love Rock N Roll was always a great song, starting with the Arrows original version. It's all about promotion. The Arrows didn't get promotion on their 1975 version. They wrote the song and released the first version, which Jett must have liked a lot when she saw them do the song on TV or she wouldn't have bought their record and covered the song (twice, her first 1979 version was a flop) in the first place.
Joan Jett got major promotion on her 1981 version. If you think big hit songs like "I Love Rock N Roll" happen by magic then you probably still believe in the tooth fairy. It's all about having a good song, a good recording and then serious major music industry promotion.
~ Nena

Jo said...

Alan Merrill of the Arrows, the original singer and songwriter of the 1975 version of the song, performing it in London November 5, 2011 at the Lexington rock club in Islington.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJ-lOG2wWE