Monday 11 July 2011

New Records

There's a few new records, either just been released or will be shortly, by some of my favourite women.

Suzanne Vega has just released volume three in her 'Close-Up' series in which she re-interprets and re-records some of her classic songs. This one is called 'States of Being' and includes, as Suzanne says herself, some of her 'freakier songs'. My favourite on the collection is the new version of 'Blood Makes Noise' that she performed on her last tour, with jagged, aggressive guitar as well as the usual bass accompaniment - it got me really excited when I saw her play it at Cadogan Hall last year, an excellent version. If you download the album from Nimbit you get two bonus tracks, 'Anniversary' and 'Language'. The album also includes a new song from Suzanne's recent stage musical, 'Instant of the Hour After'.

News of new records includes Patti Smith releasing a new 'best of' later in the year and a record of new material by Laura Marling called 'A Creature I Don't Know' (she always has odd titles).

Eliza Carthy has recently released a new record that I've only just found out about, 'Neptune'. Now, I'm partial to a bit of Eliza and have followed her doings since she appeared in Patti Smith's 'Meltdown' in 2005. I still remember her coming on stage and joking with the audience that if we were hoping for a cheerful song we'd have another think coming! I really liked Eliza's last album , 'Dreams Of Breathing Underwater', and the samples I've heard from the new album sound excellent. I'm going into town tomorrow so will buy it then.

There's also the expectation of a new record from Amanda Palmer. Her last album, 'Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under' (click over there to buy it >) was excellent and she's been in the studio recording demos, so that's a good thing. I expect we'll be treated to new songs on her European tour in September and maybe get a record next year. I'll wait - she's worth waiting for.

The new record from Beverley Knight, 'Soul UK', entered the national album chart at number 13 this weekend, which is good for Bev. This is Bev's 'covers' album where she records soul songs from the '80s that influenced her and she draws a wide ring around what she means by 'soul'. She's been getting a lot of media attention, which is good, so let's hope it continues. You get a DVD of a 'launch' gig for the album if you buy the hard copy and one of my regrets is that I had tickets for the gig that night (at Porchester Hall) but didn't go in the end. O woe is me - it looks like it was a great gig and I missed it! Still, I've got the record.

No comments: