Thursday 31 March 2011

'La Cage Aux Folles' at Longacre Theatre

I've seen the latest production of 'La Cage Aux Folles' at the Chocolate Factory in London and then again in the West End but I've never seen it with Harvey Fierstein on Broadway. Harvey wrote the book for the play back in 1982 so it was a performance not to be missed.

When I saw the play in London a couple of years ago I thought of the songs from the show (like 'I am what I am') and the acrobatic and threatening tranny chorus but seeing Harvey in the play he wrote and performed nearly 30 years ago made me more aware of its place in time and the passage of time. It was obviously quite a brave production for the early '80s, and a show depicting a gay couple who brought up a child together would still outrage some stupid groups today, particularly since the gay characters 'win' over the straight couple. Or, rather than gay, should that be one homosexual and one transvestite? It was noticeable at the half time break in the bar that the audience was dominated by white, middle aged men who probably remember the '80s all too well.

The production is basically the same as the original Choccy Factory production, the same set and the same costumes. Harvey has added an almost Frankie Howerd-like face-pulling trait to Zaza that didn't always work with me but seemed to amuse the audience. George was played by the understudy, Chris Hoch, who I thought was excellent and very believable and who gave Albin a big snog at the end.

Some of my favourite scenes in the show are with Les Cagelles, the dancing trannies with amazing choreography and I can't help but wince when they do the splits and land heavily on the stage. They were very athletic but I think I preferred the London Cagelles - the New York ones were a bit too thin and dancery (is that a word?) rather than the more rough 'n' ready London lads who seemed to me to be more 'real'.

The bad guy in the show is M. Dindon, the right-wing politician who gets a suitable come-upence at the end was played by Mike McShane. Remember him from 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' I haven't heard of him for years but he seems to be carving out a career on Broadway so good on him. I'm afraid to say that he doesn't look very good in a silver and white lame outfit but I'll say no more.

A nice addition to the show is the tranny who meets punters at the entrance to the theatre and then moves inside to sit on the stage and banter with the audience - she was great fun and a nice way to start the show. My advice is to get there early so you can grab a drink at the bar (served in a La Cage decorated tumbler - hint: they do generous measures of red wine) and then take your seat to enjoy the pre-show performance - I didn't catch her name but she was excellent and well worth seeing. Enjoy!

No comments: