Wednesday 28 October 2009

Morrissey at the Royal Albert Hall

It's always a bit of a drama with Morrissey. First he cancelled his show at The Royal Albert Hall in May and re-scheduled it for last night, then he collapsed on stage in Swindon at the weekend with speculation about the next few gigs, including London, but luckily he sauntered on stage and tore into 'This Charming Man', followed shortly by 'How Soon Is Now', two of my favourite Smith's songs.

With a powerhouse of a band behind him, all neatly turned out in white shirts and black trousers, with Morrissey in blue shirt and jeans, he put on a great show. Or at least I think he did. My problem was with the seats. The gig sold out very quickly earlier in the year so the best tickets I managed to nab were way up in the circle which I wasn't too worried about until I saw where they were - right above the stage. At any given time I could see about half the stage and more often than not I was able to see Morrissey's head and shoulders and little more. I can, however, confirm that there is no bald spot on the quiffed-one's head. He continues to be blessed with a full head of hair.

Because of where we were, up in the gods, it also meant the sound was a bit fuzzy and echoey since the banks of speakers were pointed to the front of the venue. Everyone around me seemed to be thoroughly enjoying Mozza so I assume it was just me. I've always been lucky enough to get tickets in the arena or stalls areas so have always had a good view at the Royal Albert Hall. And, of course, it's at a Morrissey gig that I get bad seats - this is the third time I've seen him and both previous times have been plagued with problems, so maybe it's just not meant to be?

Still, he seemed to be fine, wandering round the stage and even joking with the audience about his collapse a few days earlier. At one point he lay down on the stage during a guitar solo and later said that the doctor had advised him not to smile... to which he replied that he didn't anyway. He only played for about 1:10 and then came on for a one-song encore, so he wasn't on stage for long, but everyone left happily enough at the end - apart from the crowd at the front of the stage who were still fighting over the shirt he took off on stage and threw into the audience. I suspect the last few stalwarts are still there now tussling over who carried home the trophy of a sweaty Mozza shirt.

Favourite songs were 'This Charming Man', 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris', 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and the encore of 'First Of The Gang To Die'. I also liked 'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores' which Morrissey prefaced by saying he'd noticed an increase in the number of celebrity chefs and none of them were vegetarians. Good on you for that.

I can't pretend I enjoyed the gig, but that was down to the venue rather than Morrissey. In future, unless I can get seats lower down or at worst in the middle of the circle at the RAH then I won't bother. The disappointment isn't worth it. I hope the rest of the tour goes as well as last night.

No comments: