Monday 26 October 2009

Loud, Fast, Brash and Dirty

You might remember that back in August I had an urge for some loud, fast, brash and dirty music and ended up with Toyah. I look back on that now with a faint air of amusement. I now know what I wanted, but it's taken a while for it to work its way through my sub-conscious. What I obviously needed was some Motörhead! I just didn't see it at the time.

What could possibly be louder (other than SLADE), faster, brasher or more dirty than Motörhead?

Back in the punk wars of the late '70s, Lemmy and Motörhead were the only metal band it was vaguely ok to like - they even toured with The Damned. Lemmy was - and still is - the epitome of everything your parents warn you against and that's part of his attraction. He also sang lead vocals on Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine', their only hit single, and later got sacked for drugs. Lemmy? Drugs? How is that possible? He was bad then and he still is.

Motörhead is still going strong and even has a new album out. Not that I'll buy it - I'm content with the 'best of' of old tunes I've just downloaded for £2.49. My head is banging on overtime to make up for lost time.

No comments: