Monday 26 October 2009

Green Shoes

Now, this may come as a surprise to many of you, but I don't actually own a pair of green shoes. Shocking, I know.

It occurred to me today that I wanted a pair of green shoes. I suspect mid-life crisis is involved here - I haven't had one yet so it must kick in soon or it'll be too late. There are the stereotypes of buying a red sports car or a flash motorcycle, but I think I'll express my middle age with green shoes.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not fashion icon material at all, and I have no aspirations to be one either. I see shoes as something you put on your feet to go out in, protect the feet from broken glass and keep warm in winter. I'd much rather go barefoot.

My shoes are the epitome of foot boredom but I was, once, for a short while, a minor-league trend follower. Do you remember back in the early '80s (those of you old enough to remember, of course) there was short-term fad for suede calf-length boots? Pixie boots as I used to think of them. I had a pair of pixie boots and they were purple (it was either purple or a pallid grey so purple it was). That's about the only time I've been even vaguely radical in the foot department.

So. I want a pair of green shoes, and not boring bottle green either. I want *noticeable* green. No idea where I'll get them from though, so any suggestions are more than welcome. Maybe I need to stalk Camden market or Carnaby Street or somewhere like that. Suggestions welcomed.

1 comment:

GEORGE MYBURGH said...

in 1977 i spent hours trolling the streets of hillbrow jhb rsa looking for green plastic pixie boots as worn by ivy rorshach dunno why but i never found any even close i would like to make some tho.