Sunday 28 December 2008

'Twelfth Night' at Wyndham's Theatre

Over Christmas I've been in self-imposed exile, all snug and warm at home, eating and drinking too much, having shut my front door on Christmas Eve and said goodbye and Merry Christmas to the world. I'd stocked up on food and drink sufficient for any eventuality. And presents. And a sparkling, gleaming Tree. My exile ended today with a festive trip into town this afternoon, courtesy of Chris, to see the Donmar West End production of 'Twelfth Night' at the Wyndham's Theatre with Derek Jacobi as Malvolio. I first saw Derek Jacobi on the stage way back in 1977 or 1978 when he was playing Hamlet.

My first stop was Trafalgar Square to see the big tree, a gift from Oslo to London in thanks for support during the last war, a towering tree but with rather unimagitive lights in straight lines up and down the tree. Still, it was nice to see it and nice to see the families of tourists enjoying the sunny, brisk afternoon, clambering around the lions and avoiding the freezing spray from the fountains. Then up Charing Cross Road to Wyndam's and culture.

I've not seen 'Twelfth Night' before (but have read the play) so it was nice to see it, particularly so close to twelfth night itself. The set was very simple, wooden floor and wooden slatted blinds as a backdrop, lots of atmospheric lighting and some interesting costumes. Mistaken identities and cross-dressing, some gender confusion, drunken hilarity and some, let's face it, rather nasty characters all pushing and pulling together to give us a Christmas entertainment.

Derek Jacobi played the older man's part of Malvolio, the kill-joy who is made fun of and locked up for being mad. When he was on stage you really noticed him but, every now and then, although I was watching Derek I thought I was listening to Frankie Howerd (ooer missus). I liked Derek's yellow socks.

My favourite was Indira Varma as Olivia who started off pure as the driven snow and ended with some of the best rude moments and pulled them off excellently.

Now, I know one needs to suspend judgement and let imagination fly but I really had difficulty accepting Victoria Hamilton playing a boy - her feminine attributes stood out a mile so how on earth the other characters thought she was male is beyond me, especially when she and her identical twin brother stand side by side.... naah, she's not a boy!

It was good fun and very well played. A good re-emergence into the world after my mini-hibernation and a welcome Christmas treat from Chris.

No comments: