Thursday 4 December 2008

Suzanne Vega - 'Daddy Is White'

Suzanne Vega writes an occasional blog for The New York Times and her latest entry is about growing up thinking she was half Puerto Rican only to find out that her father was white. She writes:

In
my last blog post I mentioned that I was raised in a half-Puerto Rican family and spent five years in East Harlem as a young child. At some point, when I was about 9 years old, I learned that my birth father was actually English-Scottish-Irish. Or white, as we used to say in my old neighborhood. Actually, anybody looking at me could probably tell that this was the case, but I felt I was the last to know, partly because I was treated by my Puerto Rican abuelita and my aunt and uncle as one of their own. I was proud, and still am proud, to be a Vega.

She's written a thought-provoking blog about this and the potential for change that comes with the election of Obama. Also included in the blog is a link to a demo of a new song, 'Daddy Is White'. Click on over to have a read and take a listen.

No comments: