Monday 29 December 2008

Amanda's Christmas Present

Amanda Palmer has just delivered my Christmas present (slightly late, but that's my fault). People who pre-ordered her 'Who Killed Amanda Palmer' album also received a free gift of a downloadable 'alternate album' which was due on or before 24 December. Amanda's been having problems with the record company and all sorts recently so there's also been problems with the alternative album but those nice people over at AmandaPalmer.Net made the album available for download late on Christmas Eve and I've just found it. Thank you and a half!

The tracklisting is:

1.1.94
The Point Of It All
Night Reconnaissance
Runs In The Family
Blake Says
Strength Through Music
Guitar Hero
Boyfriend In A Coma
Oasis
You May Kiss The Bride
I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Ampersand
Straight
Astronaut
Have To Drive

Amanda says:

I recently went through all the demos for the record and put together a wonderful "alternate" album. Almost all of this stuff is raw, one-take stuff that I recorded at Ben Folds' when we were deciding which tracks to put on the record. Happy holidays, and thanks for being so patient...

I'm enjoying it as I type.

There's also a version of Amanda's ukele version of 'Creep' available for download. It was played on the Howard Stern radio show a couple of weeks ago so that's good promotion. It's the best version I've heard of it, a live version, of course. I well remember Amanda playing it from the balcony at Bush Hall wearing a tutu and then walking through the crowd to the stage. That was one of those special moments.

And (almost) finally... Amanda made the top 10 solo artists in The Guardian's readers poll of music in 2008. Well done Amanda!


Most of Amanda and The Dolls videos have vanished from YouTube in some dispute over money claims against YouTube from Warner Brothers, so enjoy 'Leeds United' while you can:

No comments: