Monday 1 December 2008

Estelle at IndigO2

On Saturday night I went to see Estelle at the IndigO2 with Chris. Well, I should probably say 'hear' rather than 'see' since I didn't see that much of the lass, but what I heard was good. There was a load of security getting into the place, walk-through metal detectors, bags through an x-ray machine and had to show tickets four times. A bit excessive to see a little lass from Hammersmith.

And you know she's from Hammersmiff as soon as she opens her mouth, that rapid-fire barrage of words ending sentences in 'riiiight' and, unfortunately, has picked up saying 'shit' a lot (I'm sure her mam will have had something to say afterwards!). She spoke quite a lot in between songs and it was nice to hear her - she was clearly having a ball in front of her home audience and that's infectious, just like some of her music. She showed off her new hair and her sparkly frock but that was wasted on me.

We were up in the balcony which is steeply banked, and all it takes is for one person to lean forward or stand and then no-one behind can see a thing. I saw very little of Estelle and this was my typical view >>>> For some reason, the lighting rigs are in front of the video screens so most of the screen is covered and you can't see that much. Quite annoying really.

Estelle played all of her last album, 'Shine', plus a couple from her first album including '1980' with it's great hook. 'American Boy' sounded better without Kanye's rap. It was a crowd-pleasing set and was well delivered.

I took some photos around the O2 earlier in the evening, so, in the absence of Estelle photos, here's a pic of my new best-horse, Perrin from the merry go round outside the O2.




No comments: