Thursday 13 December 2007

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band 'Framed'

34 years ago I first saw The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, the first band I ever saw play live. And that was the last time I saw them, until tonight. I ordered my ticket for tonight's gig in March and the night finally came round. It nearly didn't due to transport disasters but I got there in time and was even offered discount at the merch stand because of my beard so that got the evening off to a good start.

Alex died 25 years ago and I wasn't sure what to expect - would Max, the new singer, just try to copy Alex or would he inject his own style? What would the band sound like, can they still play? Oh they can still play all right and put on a grand rock show. SAHB always did. And Zal is still wearing his harlequin warpaint.

SAHB had decided to play the whole of 'Framed', their first album from 1972. No idea why, but why not? So on they came to rapturous applause and launched into the deep '70s blues of 'Framed' (the opening track on the album) but in a 'remixed' version which supposedly tells an embroidered tale of how Max joined the band. Then they ran through the album, some tracks obviously more regularly played and practiced than others, but that was part of the fun. Stand out tracks for me were an energetic 'Midnight Moses' and the brooding 'St Anthony' which closes the album and tells the tale of the temptation and sexual torture of St Anthony (Alex's songs are always interesting). Both gave Zal opportunities to go wild with his guitar solos and we were in guitar heaven.


After 'Framed' they played a more normal set, firstly a new song, 'Hail Vibrania' with Zal on vocals, which I think they said was from the new album due next year? Whatever, it was heavy metal with additional hard rock and heaviness, the kind of sound you (or at least I) just don't hear these days. Thunderous. And then more classic SAHB, including 'Tomahawk Kid', one of my favourites. I didn't recognise it at first and then got into it but was a bit disappointed that Max felt the need to camp it up when he came to the lines about the Kid holding the pirate captain's hairy hand and skip across the sand - I can't imagine Alex feeling the need to do that at all.

They closed the set with 'Hot City Symphony', one of the Vambo songs, Vambo being an everyman-type character Alex invented. It started off quiet and slowly built and built and built until it was a magnificent mad mess of sound, guitars thrashing and wild and one word shouted out over the top of the sound, 'Vambo'! What a way to end.

And then back for the encore, with 'Faith Healer' and 'Delilah' (well, they *had* to do their biggest hit, didn't they) and it was great fun to see Chris and Zal doing their 'tip toe' dance to 'Delilah' just like when they did it on Top Of The Pops all those years ago. Those two were a great double act, coming together every now and then do some of their old antics of synchronised guitar swaying, their tippy-toe dance, and joint legs up on the monitor to lean over the audience, just like way back when. I wish I'd been closer to the stage. Of course, Chris has put on the beef since then, but, haven't we all? And the McKenna's kept it all together so the others could go off playing the rock star.

And the audience? You didn't expect me to blog about a '70s band gig and not mention the audience, did you? 95% male and 90% over 40 years old and a good few well over 40! Alcohol had been liberally imbibed (of course) but everyone was good natured and out to enjoy themselves. Mind you, there's nothing odder than seeing a 50 year old play the air guitar... I wonder what their children think when Dad gets home the worse for wear and playing air guitar with his mates in the kitchen with a cuppa?


The verdict? Yes please to seeing them again! I thoroughly enjoyed them, the songs sounded great and it was wonderful to see them on stage where they belong. Max must be quite brave to sing with the band knowing that every time he goes on stage everyone in the audience is thinking, 'He's not Alex'. And he's not, obviously, but he was good, trying to be as expressive as the songs demand while bringing his own personality to the mix. I didn't quite understand why he kept hitting himself with the mic, but we all have our quirks. A big five stars!

Oh, and when I went back to the merch stand I didn't get my beard-discount but I don't mind. The merch-men were having a merry old time and that's what the night was all about.

Vambo still rool!

No comments: