Saturday 10 November 2007

Sex Pistols at Brixton Academy

Thirty years of waiting and I've finally been Pistolled. With a capital 'P'.

Last night was Sex Pistols night, planned with military precision based on my scouting mission when I saw the Maximos there a few weeks ago. Through the ticket barrier then the gauntlet of security, straight through the foyer to the merch stand (obviously), then double back to get bottles of coke for later and upstairs to the bar and into the hall to grab seats and stay there for the rest of the evening. I was surprised to see the front half of the seats already well populated but we still found good aisle seats which should, at least in theory, give us a good view. Additional spotlights were fixed to the railing that partially obscured the view of one side of the stage but that wasn't too bad (they were filming the gig). Purple lights were streaming all over the place as the hall gradually filled up. The support band were The Thirst who were loud and fast and I couldn't make out a word of the songs but that didn't matter. It was the main act I was waiting for, nervous and hoping they would shine.

The tension rose every time something happened on or around the stage, loud music pumping from the onstage DJ, the stage sparse and simple, Paul's drums covered and off to one side. The lights went down and cheers erupted. I was looking to both wings to see where they would emerge from but they didn't. Instead, the back of the stage opened and light streamed out as they walked down the centre of the stage. They were here. Roadies wheeled Paul's drums centre-stage as they picked up guitars and John prowled the stage responding caustically to shouts of 'you fat bastard'.

Guitar rang out loudly, then drums and bass and they launched into 'Pretty Vacant' with John snarling over the top, proudly sporting a day-glo PiL vest over his white shirt. The opening was bit frustrating still sat down as instructed by security but by the third song security gave up and everyone stood and I got a great view of most of the stage and could jig around and sing along to my hearts content. It was them on stage at last and I enjoyed every moment.

The lighting was great and the empty stage gave a nice minimalist look to the event. John prowled the front of the stage, going back to get drinks either from his stash behind the monitors or from the brandy bottle on Paul's podium, gobbing more later in the set to clear his throat. Steve and Glen held the middle-ground, playing off each other and at one point dancing towards each other and then backing away, moving to and fro, and at the start of almost every song both going to Paul's podium. Paul was great on the drums, keeping it all going and controlling the pace of the songs. It was an excellent partnership and far tighter than I'd have expected from a band that plays together so infrequently, all four of them having specific jobs, three making that wonderful noise and allowing John to do his job upfront.

And John was wonderful. Was he Johnny Rotten last night or John Lydon? Who cares, in his sartorial elegance he was magnificent. Swearing, gobbing, challenging the audience, whipping us into a frenzy, howling out those sacred words he penned 30 years ago, still scary and still challenging, unsurpassed as the ultimate bad lads. He's a great front man, joking with us and getting us to sing along to 'I do like to be beside the seaside' as the intro to 'Holidays in the Sun'. And he revelled in the sea of bodies pogoing and swaying from side to side in great waves (looked great fun but I was pleased to be upstairs).

They played all their greats, all of 'Bollocks' and their classics. Great versions of 'No Fun' and I particularly enjoyed '(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone' with John dancing across the stage in stepping stone steps. The set closed with something unfurling behind them on the stage and John shouting out to 'Mr Lighting Director' to 'get some lights on it, you cunt' and there was the 'God Save The Queen' image on a £1 stamp repeated eight times as a backdrop. And they launched into a killer 'God Save The Queen' as the closer - great stuff!


Oddly enough we didn't clap and go wild for an encore and I'm not sure why. Everyone seemed to be expectant, waiting for more. Was it because we're jaded and know there'll be an encore because there always is? Or were we stunned into submission? Possibly a bit of both - I was waiting excitedly for more.

On they strolled, John saying we should make more noise because he can't hear us - 'never be shy in front of me' he said. And they exploded into 'Anarchy In The UK', one of my all-time favourite songs so I was over the moon. Then the scathing 'EMI' with everyone joining in. And then off they went again, only to return with John saying 'do you want to see my baby?' and holding his stomach - the cue for 'Bodies'!

The stage lights came on as they unslung guitars, waved at the audience and family and friends in the balcony in front of where I was standing and John, putting on his petulant act walking to the side of the stage and saying, 'After all these years and you still don't love us' and walking off. Oh how I do love 'em!

I have finally seen the Pistols, my teenage heroes who I've listened to for 30 years. I didn't see them on the previous reunion gigs because it wouldn't be the same and I wanted to remember the olden days. But this time, as soon as I heard about the 'Bollocks' celebration and the gigs I knew I had to see them. And they were magnificent.

No comments: