Tuesday 27 November 2007

Lights... camera...

It's always a bit of a shock when the clocks go back and the nights draw in, getting darker sooner, but it also means we're heading into the festive season and that means lights.

I like inspecting the Christmas lights and displays around town. Generally, we're not very inventive when it comes to Christmas lights and more doesn't always equal better. Sometimes it's the simple ideas that work best.

Carnaby Street usually puts on an interesting display and this year is no different. It's gone for paper chains, except they're not made of paper and they're huge. They work in daylight as well as night so should provide a consistent display.

The lights on Regent Street have been boring over the last few years, usually tied in to the latest cartoon film which is too commercial for my liking. Regent Street is one of the grand crescents of London and should be treated with respect when it comes to lights. This year is a bit different and it's gone all avant guarde with these motion-sensitive globes that change colour randomly (needless to say, they're white in all my photos but they do change colour). I'm not sure what they're meant to represent (if anything) but they're better that the heavy advertising of the last few years.

My local lights are, of course, lovely. Well, they're actually the same ones we've had up for the last few years but I like them, simple and cheerful. I got the bus home tonight and seeing them ahead of me on the road on Streatham Hill was like a warm welcome home.

If I find any other interesting light displays over the next few weeks I'll be sure to report them so watch this space.

2 comments:

redhairedqueer said...

I've just put a new bulb up in the kitchen. 60 watt. You can come and see it if you like.

gdpreston said...

I've finally updated my blog and am having a re-opening ceremony this Friday in the Retro where Wendy will reboot the quiz machine and raise an eyebrow