Wednesday 7 November 2007

Brian Viglione at Islington Academy

Tonight saw a trip to Islington Academy to see Brian Viglione who's playing with Jesse Malin on his current European tour. It was a bit odd, in a way, to go to a gig to see the drummer but Mr Viglione is, after all, a Dresden Doll and that is all you need know.

After two support acts the band came on stage and there was Brian in a red Trinidad football top that only stayed on for the first three songs. I have no idea what songs Jesse was playing but I bet the drumming sounds very different on the recorded versions - Brian is a force to be reckoned with and it was noticeable from the first few drum beats that he is a drummer with a capital D. No thrashing away for the sake of it.

The third song had lots of cymbal and at one point it was crash wallop crash wallop and then a gentle tap on the third cymbal, almost unnoticed but simply highlighted that space in the song very effectively and thoughtfully. I was listening to the drumming, not the singing or the guitars. He's also an excellent showman, arms whirling putting heart and soul into the music and the performance, giving us someone to watch on stage. The guitarists and keyboard player just seemed to sway occasionaly but Brian was up and down off his seat, arms moving, body moving, a spectacle to watch and enjoy.

Jesse's songs did nothing for me and his rambling 'stream of consciousness' talk in between songs got a bit irritating but he clearly has a fan base and they love him. Towards the end of the show he climbed into the audience and, after getting everyone to sit down, happily wandered round talking to the crowd. That was an interesting sight. The only song I recognised was 'Death or Glory'.

I was all for leaving during the encore when Jesse went acoustic but Chris wanted to stay a bit longer and I am so pleased we did. Back came Brian and the band for a final wild song that ended with Brian being very rock and overturning his drum kit before leaving the stage. When the lights went on and people were leaving he popped out to salvage his kit and then had a brief chat with some of the young folks who were obviously there to see him. I hesitated and missed the moment and he vanished back to sort out his kit.

Drat, I thought but we went out to the foyer where Jesse was signing and saw Brian again near the door chatting to someone and Chris engaged him and asked him to sign his 'Yes Virginia' CD which gave me time to get my copy out so Brian could sign the painting of him on the inside sleeve, just as Amanda signed hers when I met her in August. He was clearly in a rush but he was all smiles and chatting, happy to sign and when I said I could tell he was drumming he said thanks, put his hands together and bowed with a grin on his face and then shook my hand. Wow. I've now been kissed and slinked on by Amanda and I've shaken the hand of Mr Viglione. I am happy. He hadn't put his top back on when he came out to the cool foyer so I hope he doesn't catch a chill or anything.

In 'Mandy Goes To Med School' Amanda sings that when she is unavailable her partner Brian would love to take care of you, and says, 'He is a nice man/Thoroughly reliable/He's in a rock band/And he goes to med school....' and it's all true except for the last statement. He *is* a nice man. And very polite. Thanks for being so nice, Brian.

1 comment:

Polly said...

yes, it definitely was weird to go to a gig to see the drummer! However he just rocked my socks off! And he IS such a wonderful guy ... a couple of us met up with him before the gig and we went for noodles and it was like hanging with a mate.
Thought you might want to see some other photos: here