Thursday 8 November 2007

The Beard

I still have my beard. I'm letting it grow and get bushier for the winter and for Christmas in particular. I've taken to twirling dreadlocks in it. It's a pleasant way to spend some time.

This afternoon I was called out of one of my endless series of meetings to go and brief one of our ministers. He's a new minister so I'm not sure what he wants or how he operates. We shake hands and he says something like, 'we've met before, haven't we?' and I say 'yes, a few weeks ago when we spoke about the new information system'. That was a big meeting with a few people and all the men in suits, not a one to one with me in jeans and open-necked shirt. 'O' he says, looking at me a bit puzzled. So I say, 'it's the beard, isn't it?'. And he says, 'yes!' and starts relaxing. Then we both sit down and get on with the business.

Beards have many uses. Aren't they marvelous things?

No comments: