Thursday 3 May 2007

Side By Side By Sondheim

This evening's entertainment was viewed at The Venue, off Leicester Square, former home to Boy George's 'Taboo', along with Chris and Angela (I last saw Angela when we went to see 'Follies' in Clapham, another Sondheim show). I didn't know anything about 'Side by Side by Sondheim' other than it's a collection of his songs from his various shows, a sort of 'greatest hits' cast as a theatrical revue. Two pianists, two women singers, one male singer and a narrator and that's the show. A few lights and a few props, but basically it's just them singing and acting the songs.

Sondheim's work can stand on it's own merits but a show like this will stand or fall based on the singers and we were luckily to have three excellent performers in excellent voice. Alasdair Harvey, Abbie Osmon and Josie Walker were excellent. That's three 'excellents' in two sentences so I must've liked 'em.

Particular praise goes to Josie Walker (and not just cos she kept looking at me and half-smiling) who has an amazingly expressive and versatile voice, both in serious songs and in the more comic ditties. We were sitting in the front row so had a great view and during 'Send In The Clowns' it was an odd feeling watching Josie singing with tears running down her cheeks. Earlier on she'd spat out words at an incredibly fast rate during the comic 'Getting Married Today' and put on a great 'north western' accent for the homage to 'The Boy From...'. A very versatile voice, great with accents, whether it's from Noo Yoik or Manchester and, of course, a great singing voice. I'd like to hear more from her.

Abbie's highlight for me was 'Losing My Mind' which I can't hear without hearing Liza Minnelli. Because of that, the song wasn't working for me, I thought of when I saw it sung in the pocket sized version of 'Follies' and then suddenly Abbie seemed to turn up the power, faced the audience full on for the first time and I 'got' it. It transformed from a song about pain to pain itself and I was transfixed.

Alasdair also deserves praise for his voice and acting. Reading the programme he seems to have been in lots of telly programmes and sung with loads of orchestras and ensembles. The highlight for me was the anger and hurt of 'Could I Leave You' which was quite raw and wounding. The almost viciousness of the lyric wasn't quite spat out but it was close. It probably wasn't the best song to show off his voice but he'd already done that in numerous songs so it was time to pile on some acting.

I enjoyed it. Sondheim's songs are very wordy and sometimes they seem very knowing, almost too knowing, but this is a good collection of his songs. I'd like a cast recording with this cast - they deserve it - but I doubt it'll happen. The show is only on for 12 weeks or something so I was surprised it wasn't full. It might be interesting to go again.

No comments: