Friday 11 May 2007

A Momentous Day

No, not *that* resignation, this blog is all about me me me...

Today I was offered a new job and I've accepted. This is all very sudden and I only found out about the job on Tuesday, spoke to the potential new boss yesterday and was offered it today. I'm quietly chuffed. I desperately need a new job but haven't seen anything I remotely fancied doing until this one. It's still in education but it's about trying to get to parents to engage them in good parenting and education and is a big challenge - as a department we never manage to get to parents so it's a bit of a holy grail. The new work I'll be setting up is a big challenge with big rewards if it works and a big chance of failure. It's not so much the work that's interesting, it's the challenge and that's exactly what I need. After 7 years in the current job (in different incarnations) this is going to be a big wrench but it's a wrench I need.

So, to celebrate, we went to VauxhallVille with it's theme of the Eurovision Song Contest. Now, Eurovision is, of course, awful, but it featured Bearlesque doing various Euro numbers so that was fun. Scales of the Unexpected (a barbershop quartet) actually won and it was obvious that they'd practiced whereas the Bears winged it. At least we got some Viking pole dancing!

The real celebration has just happened. I've booked tickets to see Buffy Sainte-Marie at the Highline Ballroom in New York on 18 June. Well, I don't get many opportunities to see Buffy and it's either see her in New York or at a folk festival in tents in Finland... tough decision and I don't speak Finnish, so Noo Yoik Here I come!

I'm going to start getting excited...

1 comment:

Ed U. Cayshun said...

I would love to hear more about the new job/program to get parents more involved and essentially better parents. I deal with kids everyday that I see has having been exposed to little or no quality parenting, what a huge frustration for me.

Ed U. Cayshun
http://educayshun.blogspot.com/