Tuesday 29 May 2007

Slade and Suzi Quatro

It is with a song in my heart (played loudly at volume 11, of course) that I can report that both Slade and Suzi Quatro are playing the Cannizaro Park Festival in Wimbledon in July and I've booked tickets to see both.

Suzi's album, 'Back To The Drive' last year was excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing her play some of those tracks alongside her classics. She's also making a new album with Mike Chapman so there might be a preview of some of the new songs. I narrowly missed seeing Suzi on her first UK tour when she was third on the bill supporting SLADE in 1972 (Thin Lizzy were the main support act, but Suzi got 20 minutes) so it's nice to see them on the same bill again, even though they're playing two weeks apart.

Slade are finally playing in London so I can see them (which they rarely seem to do). This isn't the classic line-up of course, it's Dave and Don's band that's on the road for most of the year, especially in Northern Europe. Even so, it'll be great to see them play live. Slade's website still says 'details to follow' for the Wimbledon gig so it's thanks to Suzi's website that I found out about the festival and the Slade gig. Wonder why it's not on Slade's site yet?

Readers will note that I'm spelling "slade" as Slade rather than my usual SLADE - SLADE refers to the original Lords of Noize whereas Slade is the current band (one must get the details right).

The only downside to the Slade gig is that Les McEwan's Bay City Rollers are on the same bill.... But I can overcome that. I could always just turn up late, stay in the bar, plug iPey into my ears, get a book out... o, lots of things!

I am a little bit excited!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This brings back very very very strange memories indeed. I used to go to school in Wimbledon down the road from Cannizaro. In the 70s it was an old ladies' home, and one of our more insane geography teachers used to drag a group of us down there on Wednesday afternoons with a guitar, and we'd have to sing to them. Puff the Magic Dragon if you please.

So hearing that those hip young glamsters Quattro and Das Slade will be coming out of mothballs to play there this summer conjures up a number of weird associations that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Have fun...