Thursday 17 May 2007

Patti Smith at The Roundhouse

"You're not afraid of a fucking pop song, are you?" challenged Patti...

A trip up to the Roundhouse tonight to see Patti Smith with Chris. We were last there to see the glory that is The Dresden Dolls and this time we were upstairs in the seated area - I joked that we were probably in the back row and, voila, we were! At least I didn't have dreaded tall people in front of me.

Without any fuss or fanfare on walked Patti and the band picked up instruments and launched into 'Gloria', followed by 'Redondo Beach' and 'Are You Experienced?' - what a great way to start the evening. It was almost like a greatest hits show with 'Frederick', 'Pissing In A River', 'Because The Night', 'Free Money' and 'Privilege (Set Me Free) plus some excellent tracks from the new record, including 'White Rabbit', 'Within You And Without You' and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. She came back on stage to play 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' followed by an extended version of 'Rock'n'Roll Nigger'. A fantastic set that lasted for 2 hours and I wanted it to go on and on.

Patti came on in trademark black jacket, baggy white shirt, skinny jeans and hair all over the place. Those opening words to 'Gloria', "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine..." are electric and it took me back to the Royal Festival Hall two years ago when I had the privilege of seeing her perform the 'Horses' album on stage (and I'm still waiting for the DVD). She's one of those people who've been around and producing good stuff for so long that they transcend normality, not really a star as such but so much more than that. Hearing 'Piss Factory' for the first time back in 1976 or 1977 is one of those moments that made me sit up and think there's more to life than I could know as a 16 year old in a little village outside Newcastle.

I'd like to have a pot of tea and a chat with Patti. No idea what I'd say but I imagine she'd be easy to talk to. She comes across as a very warm and witty person, a gentle and nurturing woman telling stories about anti-perspirant and the Rosetta Stone and a trip to the British Museum that ended in beans and nausea and a rant against pills that led into an excellent version of 'White Rabbit'. A beguiling performer.

It was a delight to see her singing 'Frederick', a song I never expected and one of my favourites, and 'Because The Night' - a song I'd actually forgotten about! She has a powerful back catalogue and loads to choose from.

After playing 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' she snarled, "You're not afraid of a fucking pop song, are you?" at the audience and launched into an extended version of 'Rock'n'Roll Nigger'. Grabbing a guitar she joined the electric thrash. This was a highlight for me, and the moment when she shouts, "Lenny" and passes the next verse to him was superb - and it was, of course, Lenny Kaye up there with her. I've lost count of how many times I've heard that shouted "Lenny" and there it was before me! That probably sounds a bit mundane but it was a bit of a thrill.

I've had an excellent night out and Patti was marvellous. I took a few photos without flash so they're out of focus but here they are anyway.

Oh, and the answer is 'no, I'm not'.

1 comment:

Michael Coscia said...

I genuflect at the altar of Patti Smith.