Tuesday 15 May 2007

Jim Lea Replugged

A great new live album is available for download, 'Jim Lea Replugged - Official Bootleg of Jim Jam Live At The Robin 2, 4 November 2002'. The album was supposed to be available over the weekend but must've just been loaded today. This is God's way of telling me I wasn't meant to go into hospital today.

I'm listening to it for the first time today (a couple of songs have been featured on Jim's MySpace) and it sounds excellent. The Robin 2 pub is a sort of SLADE shrine and this is the recording of Jim playing there in 2002, one of his few live appearances. The songs are mostly covers but it includes two SLADE covers ('Cum On Feel The Noize' and 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now'), early versions of two songs that appeared on his recent studio album ('Great Big Family' and 'I Wanna Go Out In Style') and one song I've never heard before ('Going Back To Birmingham).

It's high-volume, energetic, guitar-based rock music, best played loud (obviously). It's great hearing Jim talking to the audience and he sounds like he's having a ball! Jim plays lead guitar and has great fun in guitar hero mode.

Favourite tracks so far are 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now', 'Pretty Vacant' (o yes!), 'Hey Joe', 'You Really Got Me' and the wild guitar thrash of 'I Wanna Go Out In Style' (the final track of my last Record Bag DJ stint). The full track list is:
Shakin All Over
I Saw Her Standing There
Hey Joe
I Am The Walrus
Cum On Feel The Noize
Great Big Family
I Got You
You Really Got Me
Far Far Away
Pretty Vacant
I Wanna Go Out In Style
Substitute
Going Back To Birmingham
Mama Weer Are All Crazy Now
Wild Thing

Go on, give it a listen and don't forget your air-guitar - Jim rocks whether he's Jim Lea or James Whild Lea!

No comments: