Thursday 19 April 2007

Tyrannosaurus Rex

I've started reading a biography of Marc Bolan (a thick one with titchy writing so I'll be reading it for a long time to come) and accidentally got it out in the pub after our awayday yesterday and before I went to the Choccy Factory for my absinthe-less experience. Bill, my colleague, noticed and today handed me two CDs by Tyrannosaurus Rex when Marc was young and one of the beautiful people.

I love the titles of the records:

'For The Lion And The Unicorn In The Oak Forests Of Faun' and
'My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair... But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows'

The titles alone give a pretty good indication of what you're in for.

It's really old stuff from the '60s that I wasn't aware was available. I'm listening to 'My People Were Fair...' at the moment and my face lit up when 'Child Star' started playing and then 'Strange Orchestra', both of which were on one of my first ever LPs from 1971. It was a T.Rex compilation with a purple cover and "T.Rex" spelt out in lightbulbs with a small black and white photo of Marc on the back - I think it was titled 'Debora' but it probably won't be found in any of the T.Rex discographies. I recognised the song titles but had forgotten the sound. Wow! Let's see what other memories are in store.

I've decide Bill's an old hippy. Come to think of it, I'm sure his hair would cover his ears if he combed it down rather than along the side of his head... That proves it.

No comments: