Tuesday 17 April 2007

Plastique Baggette

Patti Smith - Twelve

I've invested in Patti Smith's new record, 'Twelve,' made up of twelve cover versions with her personal interpretation of the songs. It's an interesting selection, from 'Are You Experienced' and 'Gimme Shelter' to 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' and 'The Boy In The Bubble'. I like it, but I keep waiting for her to let rip with the vocal and she doesn't, it's an almost restrained re-telling of the songs. Where is the passion, the anger? A number of the songs are accoustic (or almost-accoustic) which might explain it. It'll be interesting to see her perform some of these songs live when we see her in May.

Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

I've been reading Donovan's autobiography recently. I've always liked Donovan, or at least, I've always liked his hits which pander to my hippy-trippy side. He's back there in my consciousness along with The Monkeys and others from the '60s. He was born in 1946 and 'retired' from the music biz in 1970 at the age of 24 and yet he'd achieved and seen so much by that age - world tours, massive single and album hits, millions of pounds, met the most creative people of the decade, etc. He paints an interesting tale of his version of the mid-late '60s, the famous names, the songs, the events and his own inner turmoils and loves.

I, obviously, kept my eyes open for references to Buffy Sainte-Marie who gets two mentions. Firstly when Donovan sings 'Cod'ine' as part of his original demo to get a record deal and then again when he records 'Universal Soldier' and refers to Buffy as "another great lady of folk", but that's about it. He talks about Joan Baez a lot, and Dylan, but that's it for Buffy.

He's been an entertaining read but I'd actually like to know what's happened since 1970. I hope there's a follow-up volume to tel us what's happened since his glory days. He was supposed to go on tour in the UK this spring but it's been cancelled for some reason.

The final paragraph of the book reads:

"I finish writing shortly after the second war in Iraq. I look around me and see that the peace and love my friends and I called for in the 1960s are needed now more than ever."

Awaydays

Do you like 'awaydays' at work? We've got one tomorrow and part of me is dreading it. There's only going to be about 15 of us there but that's not the point. I've got to lead a couple of the sessions and that's something I hate doing. It's in Westminster Central Hall which isn't far enough away from the office for my liking.

Suzanne Vega - Beauty & Crime

Suzanne's new album is out on 5 June, called ‘Beauty & Crime’. Her website tells us that it’s:

Inspired by the city where Suzanne grew up and still currently resides, Beauty & Crime revolves around Suzanne's experiences in New York. Her gift for storytelling is evident on 'New York is a Woman', which personifies the city as a hard-luck lady whose beauty still shines.

I'm looking forward to this record.

Amanda Palmer

Amanda's been a bit low profile recently, partly due to a health scare and partly being overseas doing a yoga course. But she's back now, in fine fettle, and doing a solo album with Ben Folds. I'm still hoping for the Dresden's Roundhouse DVD in June to coincide with the American tour but let's wait and see, shall we? Brian's currently bashing away on the Humanwine tour.

No comments: