Wednesday 4 April 2007

Maximo Park at HMV Oxford Street

I left work early to go up to Oxford Street to see Maximo Park play a promo gig at HMV.

The shop seemed empty when I got there and it was only when I noticed people coming in from the side of the shop that I realised there was a queue outside in the alleyway so I scuttled outside. I have to admit I hesitated before joining it - I haven't seen so many teenagers in one place since I last visited a school... but I was brave and joined it, iPod loudly playing in my ears and book of Sir Thomas Wyatt poems clutched tight to make me invisible.

After what seemed like an age me Geordie lads took to the stage and belted out 'Girls Who Play Guitars' from the new record (it's the first track and they opened The Astoria gig a month or so back with that song) before launching into 'Our Velocity'. I had a big grin plastered over my face as they played for just over half an hour, songs from the new record (including 'Books From Boxes' and 'Nosebleed') as well as Maximo classics ('Going Missing', 'Graffiti' and 'Apply Some Pressure' which closed the set). Jumping round the stage, belting out loud music and filling the barn that is HMV with energy - they looked and sounded superb, a tight band that know what they're doing and they're doing it so well.

I hung around for the signing afterwards, self-conscious and seeking solace in Mr Wyatt again but, as Chris said, they're my Maximos as well as anyone else's. After hanging around for an hour I finally had my 15 seconds with them. They sat at a table so each could sign records, CDs and booklets. All I could say was, 'it's a great record'/'love the new album' as I moved along the table and was rewarded with lovely smiles, beaming eyes and 'thank you's. Paul and Duncan in particular have very white teeth. They must've been on autopilot by the time I met them but they seemed genuinely grateful that people had turned up, that I said I loved the record and the beaming smiles and 'thank you's made the wait worthwhile. They were polite and came across as nice lads. Their Mam's would be proud of them.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

They're your Maximos as well as anyone else's yer know.