Wednesday 4 August 2010

A Second Chance

If you're a long-time reader then you'll have read about one of my most disappointing gigs ever. If you're not, you can still read about it here.

Back in the mid-'70s, Steve Harley was one of my heroes and Cockney Rebel was, I thought at the time, one of the most original bands around. Obviously, lots of people had different views and they were, just as obviously, wrong. For some totally obscure reason, I never saw them live back in the day and only saw Steve for the first (and only) time in 2005. And yes, it was one of my most disappointing nights out ever. Not entirely down to Steve - his audience clearly sucks monkey bum - but in part it was also him. That night actually stopped me listening to his old records for a long time. No-one likes to see a hero fall and, in my eyes. he fell a long way.

This evening, for some reason, I really fancied listening to his first album with Cockney Rebel, 'The Human Menagerie', and it worked it's magic on me all over again. So I thought, 'wonder if he's on tour or anything...?' and lo and behold, he's playing Union Chapel at the end of November. And praise be, it's an acoustic set! So I've done the clicky thing and bought a ticket. I will go alone - I couldn't possibly force anyone to go with me after the last show of his I saw (and I *never* leave during the encore - except his show) - so I will brave it alone.

Please be good. Be excellent. Play the old songs and the new songs like God. Walk on water like at Crystal Palace again this one time. For me, please.

And let's face it, 'The Human Menagerie' is a really good album.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Apart from your good self, his audience were the biggest load of vileness ever collected together in one place.

Oh apart from the Maximo Park people who were at the Forum.

Vile, vile, vile.