Wednesday 18 August 2010

Rain Stops Play In The Woods

Tonight I went to my first ever event in the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre in, um, Regent's Park. We were there to see Sondheim's 'Into The Woods' in what you'd think was the perfect setting, an open air stage surrounded by the trees and wildlife of the park. Unfortunately, 'open air' means 'no roof'.

I'd previously seen 'Into The Woods' at the Landor Theatre in Clapham so it was nice to see it on a much larger stage with a much larger budget thrown at it. Heading to the bar at half-time I had to admit I was thoroughly enjoying it, some great singing and acting, nice gothic costumes, nice multi-level set and the two Princes reminded me of Zaphod Beeblebrox from 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'.

The second half started and then I felt a spot of rain. O no. I went into denial that it was starting to rain and then the heavens opened. The two Princes were in the middle of their big song and gamely continued, after which they received great applause. Then the voice of god told them to leave the stage and us, the audience, to head for shelter in the bar. And then told to leave since the rain was in for the night. We can exchange tickets for another performance so I've emailed the theatre a list of dates I can make so here's hoping for good tickets.

Here's a photo of the climbing-frame stage with the crew spreading plastic sheeting to protect the ground.

No comments: