Monday 8 March 2010

'Finian's Rainbow'

Have you ever seen 'Finian's Rainbow', either on stage or the film? I saw the film about 35 or so years ago on telly and all that I recall was Petula Clark and Fred Astaire wandering through sunny fields and Petula singing about Glocca Morra. But its stuck in my mind so I asked Santa Claus for the DVD last Christmas and he obliged. It's definitely a Sunday afternoon film so the grand viewing was yesterday afternoon, with nibbles and drinks within reach of the couch. And what an odd film.

I didn't really know what to expect but I dearly hoped that my vague memory of Petula singing about Glocca Morra wouldn't be sullied and, thankfully, it wasn't. I've seen Petula on stage twice and each time she'd referred to working with Mr Astaire on that film so I'm pleased that she has happy memories of the project.

The film tells the tale of an immigrant Irish father and daughter (Fred and Petula) walking across America on a quest, the dad's mad get-rich-quick scheme. They end up in Rainbow Valley near Fort Knox where we learn that Fred has somehow got hold of a leprechaun's crock of gold from the old country. Add in the complexities of the racial divide in America, the rich white folks and the poor black and white trash, the depression, menthol cigarettes, Sears catalogues and credit, all building up to burning Petula's character as a witch, and you have a mighty fine and weird film for 1968. All directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

The film is obviously from the late '60s, with the hippy-ish leading man with his guitar, songs about happily living together, the nods to the supernatural with the leprechaun and the racial tensions of a post Martin Luther King equality stirring in the south. And then I learn the original stage show is from the late '40s. Which makes it very weird if the racial overtones reflect what was actually on the stage o the late '40s. That was rather uncomfortable and I can sort of understand why it hasn't been repeated on telly every other year like most old musicals.

The musical was revived on Broadway last year and, unfortunately, closed just before we went there a few weeks ago. As Chris pointed out, it's probably easier to forgive some things happening on stage in front of you than things immortalised in film. I would certainly have gone to see it if it was on.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed most of the film. Fred was great (as always) and had his traditional moment of dancing on 'things' (on this occasion, packing crates of stuff from the Sears catalogue) and Tommy Steele was watchable as Og the Leprechaun (but he was, obviously, playing Tommy Steele). Petula stole the show as Sharon, the loyal daughter who finds love. Hers was also the most steady of the Irish accents in the cast.

I don't think I'll watch the film very often but, now and then, when I need some magic and daftness and moist eyes, I think I'll try to find Glocca Morra with Petula and Fred and (ok, I'll say it) Tommy Steele. If only for the memories. I immediately downloaded 'How Are Things In Glocca Morra?' and 'Look To The Rainbow', both of which sum up the film for me.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Tommy Steele was just wrong...