Tuesday 16 March 2010

Why I Love Amanda Palmer No 73

If you've ever looked at this blog before then you'll know that I admire Amanda Palmer as Art and as Life and as a total MadPerson. A hug from Amanda can soothe the cares of the world as I know first-hand and her songs can make you laugh and cry. Amanda is, as she says herself, far from perfection, but why let factual accuracy get in the way of a good blog?

This morning Amanda tweeted a link to her latest blog in which she describes the pits of her depression in New Zealand which, unfortunately, coincided with her fiance (Neil Gaiman) being with her after she'd spent a few weeks of joyful gigging and recording in Oz. This is part of what I love about Miss Palmer. She doesn't feel that she has to be on top form all the time - she can tell us when she feels the walls are closing in and doesn't have to worry about how we - the fans - will react. That also means that her blogs are from her, not some anonymous PR-person. That instantly makes me trust Amanda.

I don't like hearing that she's not having fun. She's my hero and I much prefer the Amanda that travels the world, makes up songs about Vegemite and takes the piss out of the Golden Globes by posing dead on the red carpet in a see-through dress. But you have to respect the integrity. And I do.

I will see Amanda again in April at the Evelyn Evelyn gig at Bush Hall and will do all in my power to engineer another Amanda-hug. They are life-affirming - get one if you can.

No comments: