Tuesday 31 March 2009

Westminster Bikes

Leaving work tonight I strolled up Victoria Street heading for the station and started noticing a lot of motorbikes. Then I saw lots of police and bikes parked at the sides of the road, taking up lots of space. And then Victoria Street was shut off and covered in bikes and bikers. What was going on?

I saw a few signs about 'no to bike tax' but no real explanations about what the demo was about so I looked it up when I got home.

I'm sure it would've been frustrating for people in cars and buses having to be diverted, but it was nice to have a traffic-free Victoria Street for a change. It was just full of bikes and bikers from the Army & Navy Store all the way up to Little Ben. Most of the bikers looked middle aged and male, all shapes and sizes along with all sorts of bikes. I still wouldn't ride a motorbike, though...

2 comments:

Gareth said...

was it linkd to the g20 protests?

Ponyegg said...

No, it was protesting at Westminster Council's parking tax for motorbikes. More info here:

http://www.notobikeparkingfees.com/