Friday 27 March 2009

This Used To Be The Future

I've been enjoying the new album from the Pet Shop Boys, 'Yes'. It's got some great songs on it. I got the 'white' version, the single album, rather than the 'black' special edition with the extra CD of remixes. I'm not really bothered about remixes but also on that CD is 'This Used To Be The Future' with the most marvellous Phil Oakey sharing the vocals with Neil and with Chris Lowe (yes, he sings!).

But now, courtesy of David (of Daily Dramas renown) I've heard the song and I love it! It's melancholic and nostalgic and past-looking-forward - after all, this used to be the future, y'know. The music segues into Human League hard beats for Phil's 'rap', a nice doff of the cap to one of the first masters of electronica.

It reminded me of seeing the League at Hammersmith last December and Phil stalking the stage to the stark sounds of 'Seconds'. It made me wonder about seeing the Pet Shop Boys at the O2 arena in June and whether Phil might turn up for a guest duet with the Pets. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

No comments: