Wednesday 4 March 2009

Attack Of The Super Vixen

I've had an attack of The Creatures this evening, sampling their catalogue of songs from their on/off existence over the last (not quite) 30 years, from 'Mad Eyed Screamer' and 'Right Now' to 'Godzilla' and 'Attack Of The Super Vixens'. Add her parallel (and more full-time) career with The Banshees and her more recent solo work and you must think of Siouxsie in terms of one of the most creative and challenging musicians in the last few decades.

I started wondering where the 'Mantaray & More' tour DVD is and when it will be released (recorded at Koko last September) and that reminded me of her 'Dreamshow' performance at The Royal Festival Hall and the DVD of the show. That got me wanting to listen to 'Godzilla' which I had the pleasure of seeing her perform with Budgie and then I went back to the start of it all, and 'Mad Eyed Screamer'. I played 'Feast' endlessly when it came out in 1981. I'd never heard anything like it, the raw percussion augmented by gamelan and other exotic instruments and sounds. Then came 'Boomerang', 'Anima Animus' and, finally, 'Hai'.

I blogged about The Creatures discography last year when I decided to become a Creatures completist. I'm not there yet by any means. I found 'Sad Cunts' posted on YouTube last year but there is still more to find and I've just bid on a copy of 'Eraser Cut' on eBay. There will be more to find, I'm sure.

While we wait patiently for more from Siouxsie, please enjoy the madness of 'Godzilla' - he trashes cars, y'know.

No comments: