Sunday 22 March 2009

Noughties Defection

O dear. No sooner do I declare my adherence to the '60s than I leap forward into the '70s and land in the '00s... in the shape of Mr James Whild Lea, Jim Lea of those Lords of Noize, SLADE! I *am* fickle, I admit it.

I left my music on shuffle and after whizzing through Girls Aloud, The Seekers, P!nk, Maximo Park, X-Ray Spex, The Supremes and a dozen others, up popped Jim Lea in guitar hero mode blasting out his live version of 'Hey Joe'. That was all I needed to change direction and head into James Whild Lea territory.

Jim has two download albums available through his website (and one through iTunes) - his album of new material from a couple of years ago, 'Therapy', and his 'official bootleg' of the Jim Jam gig from 2002 which he released in 2007. It's Jim on lead vocals and lead guitar making mad noize to his heart's content and it sounds good. He plays some SLADE classics on the live bootleg, as you'd expect, but he also does fab versions of 'Pretty Vacant', 'You Really Got Me' and 'I Am The Walrus'. Guitar-driven rock is what it is, by a master who toured for 25 years and knows how to talk to a crowd from the stage. I'd love to see him play live, but that's a very rare occurrence these days.

Jim has been working on an album of new material for the last year or so so, hopefully, this year will see its release. If it's half as good as 'Therapy' then I can't wait.

No comments: