Thursday 19 March 2009

Buffy Sainte-Marie - 'No No Keshagesh'

This is quite an evening for videos of Buffy Sainte-Marie. No sooner did I hear about the video for 'Big Ones' (see below) on the Buffy wires than I see from Michael's blog that there's a video of Buffy singing 'No, No Keshagesh' a month or so ago.

'No, No Keshagesh' is the opening track from Buffy's new album, 'Running For The Drum' and Keshagesh is the Cree word to describe a greedy puppy that wants to keep eating everything, a metaphor for corporate greed (she's ever the visionary, wor Buffy). I'm not sure why the music and backing vocals seem to be turned down but it's great to see Buffy giving it some serious hip-wiggling.

I have, of course, seen the marvellous Ms Sainte-Marie performing this song live when I saw her in New York in March 2008 with pow wow backing vocals from Ulali. I was entranced.



If you want to get hold of the album just click on over to Buffy's site.

4 comments:

Michael Coscia said...

Hi Owen - Thanks for mentioning my blog. Buffy's still timely... a true visionary. - Michael

Mongrel Pup said...

I have to say, that for a woman of Buffy's age she looks beautiful.
The new CD/DVD is great { of course }. Now if we could just keep her recording music. It would be wonderful! Thanks!

Baruch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baruch said...

Fantastic collection of music, Buffy is as always right there saying it like it is and putting her spirit into her message. I'll be featuring a couple of songs from "Running for the Drum" on my on August 2 radio show Paradigms