Tuesday 10 February 2009

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - 'Live At The BBC'

The new album from SAHB was released yesterday, the double 'Live At The BBC'.

The CD brings together all of their live sessions for the BBC. The first disc covers two Radio 1 'In Concert' performances from 1972 and1973 and the second disc collects their Old Grey Whistle Test appearances between 1973-1977 and a live 'Boston Tea Party' on Top Of The Pops from 1976. Alex isn't actually on the last two tracks from 1977 - 'Pick It Up And Kick It' and 'Smouldering' - and I assume that Zal took lead vocal duties.

The sound quality is excellent and it's great to have all these tracks added to the SAHB collection. This is hard rock as it should be played. The stand out track for me is 'Dance To The Music' which, as far as I know, isn't available anywhere else. I remember SAHB playing it back in 1973 when I saw them live, so that's a treat and a half.

The only disappointment is the absence of any photographs in the short booklet - it would've been nice to have some new ones. I got the CD from Amazon for £5.98 and it's also available to download from Amazon for the same price. iTunes is charging £12.99 to download it. I know where I'd buy it from. Go on, buy it.

No comments: