Saturday 7 February 2009

Amanda Palmer at The Electric Ballroom

On Wednesday night I saw the marvellous Amanda Palmer at The Electric Ballroom in Camden on her latest tour of Europe before heading down under. The gig was, of course, sold out, and the freezing streets of Camden were forgotten in the subterranean Ballroom with it's surprisingly friendly bar staff.

The Danger Ensemble came out to do some kind of dramatic dance in the middle of the crowd in front of the stage - I couldn't really see what they doing even though we'd found a good perch in the balcony with a good view of the stage. And then on she walked in a mist of dry ice, Miss Palmer, standing in front of her keyboard and bowing to the assembled masses. No fancy frock this time, Amanda said she wasn't sure about touring the same show since she'd just been to London a few months ago, so we were in for something a bit more free-form and less elaborate.

She played a mix of old, new, borrowed and blue and ending with her marriage to Katy Perry, (no, really) via an art auction, a gay wedding and a photo shoot. It was a packed two hours that seemed to fly by too quickly. Amanda raided The Dresden Dolls vaults for 'Backstabber' and 'Coin Operated Boy', a new song I didn't catch the name of, her version of 'My Favourite Things', and a deeply sad and blue version of 'Oasis'.

Amanda told us her tale of 'Oasis' being banned for making light of date rape and abortion and how BBC6 played it but no-one else would, and wondered whether if she'd played it downbeat rather than poppy then it might have been played since an introspective, sad version might have been acceptable. Amongst a ripples of giggles through the crowd she put her head to one side and began playing a slow, angst-ridden version until she got half-way through the chorus and exploded into the proper full-on poptastic, bouncy version with the whole audience joinign in with the Beach Boys stylee chorus. It works better that way!

'Guitar Hero' and 'Astronaut' from the album and a great version of 'Leeds United' with an impromptu four-piece brass band joining her on stage. She didn't play 'Ampersand' which was a surprise, but she did marry Katy Perry. On flounced Tora from the Danger Ensemble in a dark wig miming to 'I Kissed A Girl' only to be pounced on and snogged by Miss Palmer before the wedding dresses came out and they were married. Be careful what you wish for is, I think, the message there. At another point in the show, two men were invited up to the stage by Stephen from the Ensemble and one proposed to the other on bended knee before having a group snog and hug. Aww, how cute. We also had a fashion photo-shoot on the stage with the Ensemble and Amanda taking turns striking poses while the lights flashed and the hat went round for contributions to pay the Ensemble.

I did, of course, take photos but they're not too good. Skip on over to Flickr to see much better ones, but mine are here anyway.


And then it was all over, far too quickly. The merch stand was packed with people and Amanda had said she'd be there to sign things after the show. Standing in the crush of bodies wasn't a good feeling and I was making noises about leaving when suddenly Amanda was at one side of the merch stand and everyone moved her way. Then security appeared and Amanda was ushered to the other side of the Ballroom where some tables had been set up and lo and behold, I was at the front of the queue as they sorted out the tables... a miracle! Shouting at everyone to form a queue I just stood there as everyone lined up behind me, Amanda squeezed past and took her seat right in front of me. I asked for the hug she'd promised and she got up, leaned across the tables and gave me the biggest, warmest hug you could ask for. Cor! Then she signed the photo of me and her from Bush Hall a couple of years ago and I thanked her for a great show, to which she replied, looking me right in the eye, 'no, thank you, I mean it, thank *you*'. I then moved away in a glow of pleasure so Chris could get his hug too and out into the freezing streets of Camden Town. I was still warm from The Hug though.

Come back soon, Amanda.


1 comment:

rashbre said...

I agree - great gig. My report here

Best
rashbre