Wednesday 16 July 2008

Lynsey de Paul

I had an urge this evening and I gave into it. I listened to my one and only album by Lynsey de Paul that includes all her hits and most of her first album ('Surprise' which I bought back in the day).

I made a 'Glam +' playlist on my iPod and listened to it on the way home tonight - there's over 1000 songs in the playlist so I only just dented it, opening with Gary Glitter, Mott The Hoople and Sweet, I was in retro glam heaven. And then Lynsey popped up with 'Sugar Me'. So here I am now, listening to the full album and enjoying it immensely.

Lynsey's first hit was with 'Storm In A Teacup' by the Fortunes in 1972, but she wrote it and I prefer her version. Then she had her own hit with 'Sugar Me' in the summer of 1972. There were a few songs I played endlessly that summer, on holiday in Scarborough or Bridlington on the north Yorkshire coast (one or the other), listening to 'Take Me Bak 'Ome', 'School's Out', 'Starman' and 'Sugar Me'. It hasn't had the longevity of the other songs but I don't care. Lynsey's second single was 'Getting A Drag' about glamrock and I love that one too.

But all this reminiscing does make me yearn for 'Central Park Arrest' Do you remember that song? Lynsey wrote it and it was a minor hit for Thunderthighs (what a name!) who were the backing singers on a couple of singles by Mott The Hoople ('Roll Away The Stone' and 'All The Way To Memphis' I think). Lynsey recorded it as the 'B' side to 'No, Honestly'. I know that because I had that single in my hand two weeks ago and wanted to save it from going to a jumble sale as my brother empties my Dad's house, but then again I wanted to save so many records that it would be daft, really. I'd listen to them once and then they'd collect dust. But, I'd love to hear it again. Just once. If anyone has an mp3 of it I'd love to hear from you.

There seems to be a few 'best of' and 'hits' CDs by Lynsey but some seem to be re-recorded or remixed so I'm pleased I got the CD that includes versions that sound like the originals. We must be about due for a re-appraisal of Lynsey - she even did Eurovision one year but that's my least favourite of her songs. She's done a lot of stuff over the years and, as far as I know, is still active in media areas. Mmmmm a nice box-set would go down well, I think...

2 comments:

Wayne Davidson said...

Anything for a fellow L dP fan!

http://rapidshare.com/files/148644033/19_Central_Park_Arrest.mp3

Enjoy!

Owen said...

WOW! Thank you!

"I was walking through the park...."