Thursday 17 July 2008

'Crayons' by Donna Summer

I finally picked up Donna Summer's new record this evening, her first in 17 years. I've only listened to it once so far but I've no doubt that repeated listenings will be rewarding - she's still got the voice and she's sounding good. It will be loaded onto my iPod before the night is out.

I haven't seen any 'proper' reviews but the blogs I've seen all seem to comment on how she's trying out different styles in most tracks but I don't really hear that. It sounds like an album should do to me, with a bit of variety , some fast and some slow and very much in the 21st Century - having said that, two of my favourites hark back to late '70s classic disco Donna ('I'm A Fire' and 'It's Only Love' - mega-groovy long dance tracks).

A couple of the tracks sound like bog-standard 'girl singer' songs these days - the songs, the structure, the production, which is odd since she co-wrote all the songs. What makes them different is Donna's voice - still powerful and strong - and that's what sets them apart from the rest of the crowd.

'The Queen Is Back' is a quasi autobiographical song announcing that Donna is back in suitably dramatic style. And she is! 'Fame (The Game)' is, for me, the first punchy Donna track, electronic disco like in olden days that demands to be played loud and often. 'Driving Down Brazil' introduces some infectious Latin beats which breaks the album up nicely. 'Slide Over Backwards' is a lovely bit of swampy funk with an hypnotic chorus line. The final track, 'It's Only Love' is classic Donna with a slight hint of 'I Feel Love' to remind us who the Queen really is and it works excellently, especially the sudden ending which seems to suggest that it could go on forever or just stop.

No comments: