Monday 7 July 2008

Rebel Yell!

OK, at my age I suppose I've got nothing to lose by coming out. After all, what's the worst that could happen? Regular readers will have been exposed to my oddities over the past few years and I think I'm ready to add to that list. >Deep breath<

I like Billy Idol.

Phew! That wasn't too bad. I ought to clarify that what I really mean is that I like *some* of Billy's earlier singles, not necessarily his entire cannon.

Billy started out as part of the so-called Bromley Contingent that followed the Sex Pistols, along with Siouxsie and Severin, and then joined Chelsea (I got their single 'Right to Work' back in the day). He then started and left Generation X before moving to New York to find his true self as the sneering, peroxide-blonde spikey-haired post-punkster we all know. He released a trio of great singles in the early-mid '80s - 'Dancing With Myself', 'White Wedding' and 'Rebel Yell' - and became one of MTV's first stars. He went global for a few years but never really earned any credibility in this country.

If you want a sneering, leather-clad punk to idolise, then look no further than Billy - he's trademarked the image.

I bought his 'greatest hits' in the HMV sale the other day and am enjoying it immensely.

No comments: