Tuesday 15 July 2008

Miss Palmer

I'm sorry. I really must apologise. There hasn't been anything like enough about Miss Amanda Palmer in this blog recently. You must be suffering withdrawal symptoms at this rate - I know I am!

Amanda is filming the video for her first single from the new album ('Who Killed Amanda Palmer?') in London at the end of August and I think I know where... so there's a stalking opportunity in the making. The first single is called, 'Leeds United' and she sang it when I saw her at Bush Hall last August. I remember liking it.

Amanda's blogging has been intermittent recently as well but she's posted a couple of fab photos in the last week which I am shamelessly nicking and re-posting here:

Amanda is on the far right in this photo. I'm not posting it because you see her tits (you can see a lot more than that in the 'Dresden Dolls Companion' book she published a couple of years ago) but because of what the photo represents - art, her own form of art, and she's not afraid of it.

I blogged last year sometime about how I liked Yoko Ono, always have done, and even bought a couple of her records back in the '70s. Yoko is art, so, even though I may not like or appreciate something she does, that doesn't diminish her or her work - she retains her power. Same for Amanda, but in a different way and with a different cultural background and end product. Amanda is art.


I love this photo - a bit of drama, a bit of mystery, a bit of colour and, of course, Amanda in suspenders and stripey stockings - no pretence of art on my part here! Both photos were taken on her last tour of Australia earlier this year.

Long live the punk cabaret!

No comments: