Friday 19 October 2007

'Running For The Drum' by Buffy Sainte-Marie

I can hardly believe my ears - I've just heard half of Buffy's new album, a full six tracks:

AIM Elijah
Cho Cho Fire
When I Had You
Bet My Heart On You
Blue Sunday
America The Beautiful

I'd read about 'AIM Elijah' and 'Cho Cho Fire' in a review of Buffy's New York gigs over the summer and heard 'Blue Sunday' a couple of weeks ago on DJ Slim's radio show. Hearing six tracks played back to back is just like hearing the album - except I was listening through tinny little speakers on the laptop.

Well, this morning I dutifully tuned into DJ Slim's 'Mystery Train' show on Kaua'i Community Radio to play in the background while I did some work. I waited patiently to hear a new Buffy song and I was astonished when, after playing 'AIM Elijah' Slim started playing another and another and another track back to back, and played six in total. How lucky am I?

'AIM Elijah' (which I assume refers to the American Indian Movement to which 'Starwalker' was dedicated) is top notch powwow rock with some heavy duty powwow singing in the background. This could be a great single and get people in to do remixes for the clubs which could open up a new audience for Buffy (yes, I am getting over-excited).

'Cho Cho Fire' is another powwow rock song, strong guitar up-front and would be a great concert opener to get people on their feet. Some great powwow drumming and singing, rock guitar ripping it up, very up and good-time fun which will be great played live.

'When I Had You' slows the mood right down to blues-central and you can almost see Buffy in a dark, smokey blues club sitting alone on stage in the spotlight in front of her piano being all sultry and moody.

'Bet My Heart On You' is a simple rock'n'roll/rockabilly song, stripped right back to basics. Buffy's voice sounds great in this track, strong as ever, almost doing an Elvis impression but 100% Buffy.

'Blue Sunday' is the song I heard a couple of weeks ago, rockabilly with the lovely extended 'bluuuuuueeeee'...

'America The Beautiful' is Buffy's version of the American anthem but delivered with a native American twist.

These are all great songs and yes, ok, I'm biased, but they really are great. When I think of some of the second-rate derivative dross that's around at the moment that record companies put their money behind and yet we've got class material from someone with the pedigree of Buffy still not released... grrrr! DJ Slim mentioned that the album is due in March so that's a positive step. I just hope the record company gets the marketing campaign right - it's a long time since Buffy last released a record and the world has moved on since then. The recent viral marketing for Siouxsie's album using networking sites like MySpace seems to have been effective so maybe an approach like that could work? or work as part of a wider campaign?

Oh and, of course, there must be gigs. I've already planned out the stage set for the Royal Albert Hall gig (which must also be filmed for DVD, of course). I've had a busy morning so far, y'know!

I'm delighted to have heard the six tracks today. There's always that slight fear that it won't live up to expectations... but it does! I want more and I want it now! Pretty please?

I've no idea what the album cover will be like but here's my version of it (ok, I've used that photo lots of time before but I *like* it):

3 comments:

Michael Coscia said...

How wonderful that they're playing her on Kauai radio. I've got to listen to that station more often.

I'm back in Los Angeles working on the LA shoot - still long hours, but loving it.

Michael

timart9 said...

Awesome! I heard Buffy perform 2 songs from her new CD over this Summer. I saw her at the Clearwater Festival and in NYC. Her music and singing keep getting better and better. What a gift to get more music from this outstanding artist!
-- Tim

Carlacam said...

Huge Buffy fan. I just got the Cd Running for the Drum and there's also a DVD about her life in the same package! I googled buffy sainte-marie and got her site and thers a link to the EMI store. AWWWWSOME!!!

Thanks for the tip. Who is DJ Slim?