Wednesday 3 October 2007

Kiki Dee at IndigO2

Back to the IndigO2 with Chris for the Bedford Bandstand evening comprising Beth Rowley (great voice), Mamas Gun (the funkiest band I've seen in an age), Nick Hall (another singer-songwritery type) and the marvelous Kiki Dee & Carmelo Luggeri. Of course, we were there to see the Kikster but it was a pleasure to listen to Beth's powerful voice and experience the non-stop funk of Mamas Gun.

Kiki Dee has been around forever, recording for Motown in the late '60s and helping Elton John get his first UK number one with the duet, 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' (a song I've never been keen on). I liked her solo work and got some of her records in the mid '70s. Her Motown album was finally released on CD a couple of years ago. She vanished from my radar for a couple of decades but she's still been singing and creating music and when I saw she was playing the IndigO2 headlining the Bedford Bandstand evening, I jumped at tickets. I needn't have jumped so quickly since the venue was far from sold out, but I heartily approve of the concept behind the evening.

Anyway, on comes Carmelo to the stripped down stage to tune his guitar and sort out the electricals while the host talks and then, when all is ready, out strolls Kiki Dee, herself and in person. That alone, is a thrill. Her voice is rich and velvety, she's looking good and they launch into the first of a series of songs I've never heard since they're all from their albums over the past decade or so, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them, and I do. New age-y, mainly guitar and vocals augmented by occasional keyboards and electro gizmos to boost up the sound, far from ambient (thankfully). Some lovely songs, but it's really Kiki's voice I'm listening to. They did an interesting version of Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill'.

Much as I enjoyed their set, sufficient to buy their latest CD afterwards, it was the last song that lifted my heart and made a grin appear on my face - 'I Got The Music In Me'! O yes, a guitar version of that great song, no pounding bass or drums, just Carmelo's guitar and Kiki's wonderful voice driving it along to completion. Now, that was worth seeing and hearing, her voice effortless and controlled, a song she must have sung thousands of times but still putting her all into it. Cor!

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Kiki and Carmelo, and the other acts - hearing good music played live is a positive experience. It even makes the long trek home from Greenwich worth it. Thank you for a great evening.

No comments: