Saturday 27 October 2007

Angie Stone at The Jazz Cafe

On Wednesday Chris took me to see Angie Stone at the ever box-like Jazz Cafe up in Camden. I vaguely know Angie's name but not the music, but she's one of Chris's 'new soul' favourites so should be worth a watch and listen. In a way, it was quite nice to turn up with no expectations, not listening for how she sang favourite songs or worrying that she wasn't going to sing a favourite. I could simply let the sound wash over me.

Angie took the stage and stayed there for just under two hours. I was expecting a big voice and that's what we got, but her's isn't just big, it's rich and very versatile. Backed by a four-piece band and two singers, she played the packed audience like a master, teasing and cajoling, working us relentlessly. The band sounded on top form, two keyboardists, guitar and drums, with one of the keyboard players taking singing duties for duets and the other playing the bass line (her bassist had to go home to sort out some personal stuff).

Halfway through she introduced Omar and brought him on stage for a couple of songs, again, I sort of know his name but that's about it. He had great hair.

A silly thing that pleased me immensely was when, in the middle of a song with Angie chatting to the audience and she said on the count of three everyone should freeze, so on she goes to the chorus and counts down '3-2-1 freeze' and the band stopped in their tracks, arms mid-air, silence, the works... and so did the audience. It was great theatre! A little thing, I know, but I loved it and it showed a bit of Angie's warm, fun personality.

Similarly, after talking about her sisters and getting them to sing along with some songs she started on the men in the balcony (the seated, dining area), squinting against the lights and getting them to stand up, cajoling all her brothers to stand up. She couldn't see the portion of the balcony we were sitting in so we could stay seated but I'm proud to be one of Angie's brothers as she went on to sing, 'Brothas'.

It was a great show and the audience went wild for her. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will have to become far more familiar with her songs.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Oooo

I am liking the multi-Angie picture!