Friday 5 October 2007

'Blue Sunday' by Buffy Sainte-Marie

I heard what might, possibly, be the first public airing of a new Buffy Sainte-Marie record this morning on the radio. Before you all rush off to your local record shop to buy it (which is, let's face it, the natural reaction on hearing such news) I ought to explain that the radio station was actually in Hawaii and I was listening through the magik of the internet.

My net-chum Michael is currently working in Hawaii and had the pleasure of meeting Buffy a few weeks ago. He heard that Kaua'i Community Radio was going to play a new Buffy track in a show starting at 10pm on Thursday and alerted me. First task was to translate that time into proper time, ie 9am on Friday morning in London. That's do-able, I thought.

So I log on, download the player widget, tune in and sit at the laptop with the volume turned up. Slightly after 9am, DJ Slim starts speaking and playing rockabilly records. 'Hhmmm...' I think, how will a Buffy song fit into this? A few songs pass and I'm tapping my foot, the only name I recognise is Johnny Cash, and then Slim says the magik words and the sound of a double bass thumping away starts off 'Blue Sunday' by Buffy Sainte-Marie. I've heard it before - Buffy played it when I saw her concert in Canada with that unmistakable long 'Bluuuuuueeeeeee Sunday' in the chorus. O wow!

It was all over too quickly but I stayed at the laptop listening to Slim's show. I don't have any rockabilly records and it was a bit fun, and then at the end of his show he mentioned that in two weeks time he'd play some more new Buffy. Naturally I've put that in my diary. He also mentioned that the new album, 'Running For The Drum', is due for release in March next year. Now, I'm not going to hold my breath or anything but it's on the way and 'Blue Sunday' is the proof. I can wait a while longer.

I can wait longer because in a few weeks time there'll be new photos of Buffy to gawp at. She's had her photo taken by Annie Liebovitz for a spread about folk singers in the November edition of Vanity Fair. There are no photos online but there's a very short clip of her in the video on the Vanity Fair site (click on the video-link halfway down the page).

Can never have too much Buffy, that's what I say!

No comments: