Monday 22 October 2007

Rummage

I've had a rummage in the bottom of the Plastic Bag to see what's found it's way into the corners...

Flaars

One of the saddest things is to see a flower on it's way out, a once proud bloom flaunting its shapely shape and its gorgeous colour become droopy and wilted. A vase of the poor creatures doing that together is even sadder.

Last weekend I was the recipient of a lovely bouquet carefully wrapped in green tissue paper and then in brown paper and tied with string (how Edwardian, I loved it). I've tried not to wear them out by looking at them too much but they've turned and it's time to say farewell. Luckily for you, dear reader, I had the foresight to take a few photos of them in all their colourful glory and here is a montage of those photos for you to admire with green eyes.

Chair

I am pleased to report that my employer loves me. They (corporately) must do since they've bought me my very own chair and had it moulded to my body (well, my bum and back to be precise).

The ergonomics people came to assess me when I got back to work and said I needed a special chair, a special cushion, my desk raised 1" and a plastic thing for the top of my desk. Shortly after the order went in I had to choose the colour of the fabric and I chose rainforest green so it would be a bit unusual and easily spotted amongst the range of blues, reds and blacks we usually have for chairs (the colour doesn't come out properly in this photo). The ergonomics lady came back this afternoon to 'fit' it for me and, voila, instant comfort. I need to learn how to use it properly (it feels odd saying that about a chair) and make sure no-one plays round with the various levers and pumps to alter the settings.

And the cushion? I used that today for the first time and it actually made a huge difference. I was chairing two meetings so couldn't fidget and move in my seat the way I normally do (which would have been terribly unprofessional) and I could feel the pressure building in the small of my back so that as soon as the meeting ended I stood up, moved around and pressed my back against a nice firm wall for relief. For this afternoon's meeting I thought I'd put my embarrassment aside and carry the wedge-shaped cushion into the meeting room and sit on it and I'm so pleased I did. It was odd at first but made a huge difference. I'd still reached the end of my tolerance by the end of the meeting but not as badly as without the cushion. So that cushion will go with me everywhere in future (well, not really, but you know what I mean).

Marianne Faithfull

Somehow I omitted to mention that I met Marianne Faithfull a week or so back. Well, when I say 'met' what I mean is I attended a signing for her new book at Waterstone's on Piccadilly. She was very animated and chatty but I had my moment in the sun and wasted it. I'd thought all day about what I would ask if I had the opportunity - what do I really want to say to or ask Marianne? I decided to ask why she chose to record 'Working Class Hero' all those years ago on 'Broken English'? Her version is a classic and regularly played live to great effect, but why that song? Of course, the person in front of me was chatting away ten to the dozen about her last gig at the Queen Elizabeth Hall and how Anita Pallenberg was eating crisps and was given a white rose and all sorts of stuff (yes, you know who you are) so I missed my opportunity. I got a signed book though.

Sandi Thom

It's been a while since we've heard anything from Sandi but a new album is being finished for our delight. She has so many songs for it that some, that won't make it onto the album, are being given away through her website. I've already downloaded the first track, 'Dancin' With The Ghost Of Stevie Ray' and I quite like it. I'm quite looking forward to the album.


No comments: