Wednesday 18 October 2006

Chameleon in Pig Ally

This evening we ventured to the Pigalle Club to see the ever delightful Boy George play a double set with Amanda Ghost.

I meant to book tickets for the November gig but a slip of the finger on the Interweb and you commit to things you never dreamed of. Such as a trip to the Pigalle on a Tuesday evening. I didn't know anything about the venue other than it was a supper-club type of place. Now that's ok as far as it goes, but when it advertises standing tickets I naively expect there to be somewhere to stand. Us standees either perched near the bar (with a poor view of the stage) or on a sort of sloping corridor which I assume is meant to cover the club under disability legislation by providing wheelchair access to the dining area - except when it's full of people waiting to see a pop star. I felt penned in and uncomfortable. I doubt it will become a favourite venue.

I know nothing about Amanda Ghost other than that she co-wrote that song. After her opening song I decided she was nice, chatty, lively, nice stage presence (even if she was playing to the cameras) and with an interesting voice. I was prepared to like her and add her to my list of people I watch out for. I wanted to like her but felt vaguely unsatisfied, a sort of promise unfulfilled. Her vocal style seemed to change a few times in different songs and most of the songs sounded like album tracks to me - there's nothing wrong with good solid album tracks but that doesn't mean they'll work live. And I don't think they did. I'd like to hear more, or possibly see her in a different venue?

Boy George was wonderful and effortlessly proved his pop star credentials when, with a wave of his hand and a nod, he got everyone up and dancing on the tiny dancefloor and inbetween tables during 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?' - that's a true '80s legend up there, y'know!

Most of his songs - old, new and covers - had a white-boy reggae vibe going on and one of the highlights for me was his version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way' which sounded fresh and new. It wasn't a long set, but as well as 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?' he played 'Karma Chameleon' - is he mellowing? He looked good and seemed to be in fine spirits. Not entirely sure why he's playing the Pigalle with his band squeezed on the small stage but it was a pleasure to see him.

I liked the sound of his new single with Amanda Ghost - 'Time Machine' - clearly a commercial song that both him and Amanda sounded good on, probably playing to their respective strengths. Looking forward to hearing it properly when it's released next month.

No comments: