Wednesday 21 June 2006

Pills, Potions and Pummelling

Back to the docs this morning for the results of the tests last week and the news is mixed to say the least.

My x-ray is showing gaps in my spine where there should be none so I'm being referred to Chelsea and Westminster Hospital to see a consultant, which is good news, but I have to wait 10 days to pick up the referral letter from my doc to take to the hospital requesting an appointment. Why? Who knows. I'd much rather go to St George's in Tooting but it, apparently, has a 4 month waiting list for orthopedic first appointments.

My blood tests (courtesy of the vampires last week) indicate that I've joined the Diabeatniks Club so I was given more pills for this and an appointment to see the 'diabetics doc' next week. I'm hoping that it was a blip when I had the blood test, so we'll see.

The blood tests also indicate that things aren't entirely hunky dory with my innards so I'm booked for an ultrascan to check that out in mid-July (the earliest appointment for a scan at St George's). I'm going to become an expert on the NHS in very short order at this rate.

This evening, however, I had my first pummelling of my back and bum by Mandy, my newest best friend who is the physiotherapist at Holmes Place health club up the road from me. The first task is to open up the tense spine and bum muscles to get some movement and relief from the spasm that occurs when the slipped disc presses on the nerve running down my left leg. Ouch. The first treatment was fine and I feel better for it but she said I'd really feel it tomorrow and I've got to keep a note of the effects and where it hurts to tell her when I see her again next week. I'm *so* looking forward to tomorrow... And I have exercises to do as well.

So there you have it, my latest health bulletin. Basically, I'm falling to bits!

No comments: