Wednesday 14 June 2006

Discs and blood...

In a previous bloggie I explained the trials and tribulations of my slipped disc. Well, the damn thing seems to have done it again. It's been going on for a week now, longer than normal when it decides to play up, so I went to the doctor this morning to see what was what. She gave me a medical certificate to be off work to stop aggravating my back, some nice pills (my usual ones weren't really working) and sent me off to St George's in Tooting for an x-ray. There I was, in a backless gown with my arse sticking out the back, hobbling down a hospital corridor trying to retain a modicum of dignity (and failing, I suspect).

They took two x-rays of my lower body (I must look good in x-ray for them to want two) and the bloke said it looked like there was a gap between the 4th and 5th vertebrae which sounds about right to me - either it's because there's no disc there since a bit was snipped off 6 years ago or the bit that remains has slipped out from between the vertebrae. Either way, it's not good. I go back to see the doctor next week to get the result.

The doctor also wanted to take my blood pressure and decided I have high blood pressure/hypertension and is sending me back to hospital tomorrow morning for blood tests - renal, liver and lipid profiles and to check glucose levels (what's a 'lipid'?). She gave me tiny tablets for that as well. No food or drink tomorrow until after they suck blood from me so I'll max out on an enormous plate of spag tonight!

The doctor also said I should get more exercise and lose weight (like, I didn't know that anyway). What she didn't explain was how I should exercise without aggravating my back.

O, the joys of being middle aged ...

No comments: